Friday, January 9, 2009

Just for fun! (aka Goal 9 of 10)

Goal #9, background and reasoning:
Cyclists are open-minded. Cyclists are egalitarian. Cyclists share a fellowship of the wheel that can overcome all political, social, racial and economic barriers. Except for recumbents. -Ted Costantino, cycling journalist
Bicycling is a big part of the future. It has to be. There's something wrong with a society that drives a car to workout in a gym. -Bill Nye, the Science Guy
Bicycling is human scale- a living, breathing alternative to the city's domination by motor vehicles. There is magic in blending with traffic, feeling the wind in one's face, the sheer fact of traversing the city under one's own power. -Charles Komanoff, cycling advocate
Bicycling is the nearest approximation I know to the flight of birds. The airplane simply carries a man on its back like an obedient Pegasus; it gives him no wings of his own. Louis J. Helle Jr
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. John F. Kennedy

I've had a long term relationship with bicycles, though there have been some breaks in the time line. In 2003, I stumbled across a site that was still in it's infancy, and has boomtowned since. I credit myself with the site's unprecedented success. Wink.
In the years following, I managed to meet some very unique people, and two of them have turned out to be monumentally important to me, and many are people that inspire me and challenge me.
Bicycles are social catalysts that attract a superior category of people. -Chip Brown, A Bike and a Prayer
In the past, I've done some very epic rides with people from the site, yet the one big event associated with BikeJournal is the informal ReUnion.

Goal #9 is to attend ReUnion 2009 in May.

No real riding specific goals, other than to go and have a good time with a great group of people.
I will need to get back into the habit of riding more though. Good think I have a place to track my miles.

-Maarburg posting from just outside cyberspace

1 comment: