Thursday, January 1, 2009

A Legacy (aka Goal 3 of 10)

Goal #3, background and reasoning:
Recently, I've taken a bit of time to reflect on life, and thing things that I've done so far that have given it meaning. The list of those things was a bit shorter than I was happy with. When my life is almost over, I'd like to look back and revel in the wonderful things I've accomplished, the lives that I've enriched, the positive things that I've done that will live on after me. A legacy.

I don't have that part figured out, entirely, yet I think I'm getting close.

One of the most significant moments of my life was a simple gesture from a child. In my sophomore year in High School, I was a tutor at a local elementary school for learning disabled 1st graders. That class was one of the few that I looked forward to, as each day was a new challenge. I could talk about all the kids and their unique views and methods of learning; perhaps I might do that in a different post. On the last day of this class, one of the kids that I was tutoring in math came up to me with a wicked grin on his face.. behind his back he had a present for me. Too much paper and tape, and some clumsy folds made for a comical little package. Inside was a small globe/pencil sharpener.
I'd made an impact on this boys life, and in turn he on mine.
To quote Dewey Finn from 'School of Rock' :"Your children have touched me and I'm pretty sure I've touched them too."

The feeling I had from this simple gesture has always been a strong moment for me. It has been, and I'm sure it will be a very profound memory.

Looking back on that moment, the world seems to make a bit more sense. A balance between effort and reward, between gain and giving.
The combination of something very challenging, personally rewarding, and benefits others, is a 'win/win'.

2009 Goal #3 will be to Become a Mentor (probably through Big Brothers, Big Sisters)


-Maarburg posting from just outside cyberspace

2 comments:

  1. In a completely unexpected turn of events, this has been satisfied.
    The remaining goals are in the process of being revised and reworked.

    ReplyDelete